The all-new H8 Handy Recorder is Zoom’s new, portable audio recorder, with functions for all of your audio needs. The H8 is suited for use in numerous capacities, adapting to whatever job you need it to do. It features applications created specifically for podcasting, music creation, and sound design, called The Podcast App, The Music App, and The Field App respectively. In addition to the applications designed to address popular audio recording needs with ease, the H8 can simultaneously record 12 tracks, making recording songs with various instruments, or podcasts with multiple voices, a breeze.
The H8 comes with XYH-6 microphone- a capsule with two matched high-quality unidirectional mics. It is super easy to switch capsules out so you can always be using the best microphone for what you are doing. Easily switch mics, and then easily monitor tracks with the built-in 1/8” headphone output, or directly connect your camera with the dedicated stereo line output. The H8 recorder has all sorts of ways to easily connect instruments and other tools you need to record, with 2 XLR/TRS combo jacks with Hi-Z switches allowing you to capture line level signals, microphones, or directly record electric guitars and basses and 4 XLR inputs with dedicated pad switches and gain control.
The H8 allows you efficiency from continuous use. In addition to the speedy functionality of the H8, you will be able to keep recording for more than 20 hours on 4 AA batteries, or, have the option to get the optional AD-17 adapter and record forever. The H8 has you covered every step of the way because with a free download license for Cubase LE and Steinberg’s WaveLab Cast software included—you have all the tools you need for editing, mixing, and refining your audio.
- 12-track simultaneous recording
- Color LCD touchscreen display
- Applications for podcasting, music, and field recording
- Functions such as Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record so you can get the perfect take
- More than 20 hours of operation time with just 4 AA alkaline batteries
- Can be used with standard AA alkaline batteries or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Compatible with existing Zoom’s interchangeable capsule system, as well as three new capsules coming soon
- Effects such as low-cut filtering, limiting, and compression are built in
- Phantom power for four main XLR inputs: +12/+24/+48V
- Includes a XYH-6 X/Y capsule providing secondary input through a stereo 1/8” Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Four XLR inputs and two XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards up to 512GB
- Gain control knobs and -20dB pads for each input
Who It’s For: The Perfect Audio Recorder for Podcasters, Musicians, and Sound Designers
Since the H8 handy recorder lends itself many uses, it also lends itself to many users. With applications designed specifically for podcasting, music, and sound design, a couple of groups that might get the most out of it would be podcasters, musicians, and sound designers.
With an application specifically designed for podcasting, podcasters using it would be a natural fit. The podcasting application makes it simple to record a high-quality podcast. The app allows the touchscreen to act as a soundboard, triggering sound effects, music beds, and more. You can use an SD card to load on your own sound effects, or use the 13 included. In addition to the application, the Cubase LE and Steinberg’s WaveLab Cast software also connects podcasters directly to podcast directories.
The H8 is great for more than just podcasters though—the application specifically designed for music, means the recorder suits musicians as well. The Music App allows users to easily overdub, mix, and enhance recordings with EQ and compression. It offers musicians and their music producers easy access to important controls such as audio levels, faders and metering.
With the third distinct application being The Field App, the third group the H8 seems to be specifically designed for is sound designers. Sound designers can swiftly adjust key settings including lo-cut, compress, input type, limiter, and noise gate on The Field App. The application also helps to prevent recordings from clipping by allowing users to instantly access large meters for all of their tracks.